Wednesday

You Are Not From Where You Live!

It annoys me when I hear people say that they are "from the projects". It tells me that they reflect a certain mentality. Furthermore you should not claim to be from a stuctural place. Do people who live in a house or condiminium walk around saying "Yea, I'm from the green house on Parker street" or "You know I'm from the blue condiminiums on Smith Lane?"
No, They don't; so why do many people who LIVE in the projects claim to be FROM the Projects? In my opinion it's a mentality and they don't know any better.

You are not and, in my opinion, cannot be from a physical structure. You may reside there but cannot be from there.
I live in a housing complex but I never say I am from the projects. Yes, I live in the projects but being from there and living there are two entirely different things. If someone asks me where I am from or how I identify myself I know they are not asking me where I live.
I'll tell them I am from America or I let them know I was born in Brooklyn. Some of them are not interested in that and are looking for an ethnic response. It is beyond me to comprehend why people proudly proclaim they are from the projects; it sounds ridiculous. I typically don't identify with them and I know that they have much growing to do.

With that said I'd like to add that I was born in Brooklyn but was raised in the Bronx and I live in a New York City Housing Authority Complex. If someone says "oh, so you are from "Pepsi-Coke" Houses." I'll say "No, that's where I live".

No comments:

Post a Comment