Thursday

The General You

I think it's amusing when I come across people who don't understand the concept of the "general you". They get very defensive and assume that you are either talking about them or worse they think you are talking about yourself.

When I come across these people I know that:

1. they are defensive because they are usually guilty of whatever behavior or discussion that is being held on the "general you" level.

2. When they think you are talking about yourself, I feel that they themselves are guilty of such behavior. They walk around raising issues and concerns in the general you fashion when THEY in fact are speaking of theirself and now they assume that everyone does it too.

When you are dealing with these people never EVER get defensive. It's not worth it, far more you have to keep in mind that they obviously can't hold a sophisticated conversation without being objective.

I personally like to agitate them by calmly repeating the same thing over and over and watch them get even more anxious and angrier; it amuses me.

This happens in classes, in public and even in professional settings. Me, I ALMOST never speak on myself while I'm in a class and especially at work because I don't enjoy people making assumptions about me. When I am speaking about me I'll see me, or when I and even in myopinion, so it'll be clear and obvious that I am speaking from personal experience.
Typically I'll use the general you or some people when I'm speaking from things that other people I know have shared with me and at times I'm speaking from something I read.

For those who don't know what I mean by the "general you" refers to "one; anyone; people in general"   it is a simple way of talking about people.

No comments:

Post a Comment