Wednesday

More Than Just A Model

Some time ago I submitted an essay to a media company to be considered for interview. It has been nearly a month since I have heard from them after I was told I wrote a beautiful essay. I do not trust companies with my content and because the essay was written so pationately written I am choosing to share it with my readers. Also because I do not want them to give my work to another talent. Below you will find a modelling essay about my endevears and dreams as a talent.

Sarah V. Tores: More Than Just A Model

My full name is Sarah V. Tores and I am a New Yorker. I first tried my hand at modeling when I was eighteen years old. The model name I use is Sarah and I have worked on a few small projects consisting of test shoots for Seventeen magazine, YM magazine and a few calendars before stopping for a short while to explore other endeavors.
In late 2011 I found myself attracted to the modeling industry again and have decided to pursue a proffessional modeling career. I have since built an extensive modeling portfolio consisting of both digital and print images. Most of these images were for various usage, like advertisement, reference and even test shoots for companies like Cover Girl. I have worked in the metropolitan area of New York with several photographers from New York and L.A. like Gene Geter, Derrell Anthony and Ron Betrone to name a few.

I have also participated in modeling events with groups like star dial, coast2coast group and Gwenyth shoes. For further exposure I have performed in several plays. The most recent play I was in is called “Big Break: The Story" Directed by Charles E Wise and written by play wright and Gospel Singer John Ellerbee. I have performed in several shows and events as a spoken word artist as well. I am a frequent participant on a televised fitness program called Yoga Xpress and I have done background and extra work for film productions like I Am Legend. To aid with my exposure I have also been in several amateur music videos like “Get Right” by underground artist Philly P, and a “Saving Us” remake where I played one of the leading characters.

As a young girl my grandmother and mother used to dress me up in all kinds of outfits. They took pictures of me excessively. Not only are these some of my best moments with them but those moments made me feel alive in a way that I never forgot through all my childhood and even now. Whenever I was posing for photos with family, friends, at events, parties or even just for fun I felt beyond alive and animated.

Then there was the reality that the older I got the less pictures people took and wanted of me. As time went on I spent less time with the lens and in front of cameras. Before I knew it those moments where I felt alive surfaced less and less and that alive feeling faded eventually leaving me empty and unfulfilled.

I missed and have yet to explore anything in life that makes me feel so great and alive like when I am in front of the camera. The need to fill a void and the urge to have that feeling return to me has led me down the path of modeling and entertainment.

Since my decision to become a professional model and talent I have taken time to explore various areas of the modeling industry. Out of the different types of modeling I have explored I find that I am most interested in print, advertisement and promotional modeling. I feel that I am perfect for print, advertisement and promotional modeling for several reasons. Height for the most part is not an essential factor. During my pursuits and many auditions I have learned that I am to short for most runway and high fashion shows.

I like promotional modeling because you get more independent camera time then when you are in a fashion show. I also want to be a print and advertisement model because of the different audiences and people I will be exposed to. I think promotional modeling is a great part of modeling that I enjoy because you get to interact more with the crowd as opposed to when you are on in the studio photgraphing with photographers or on the runway.

I enjoy modeling in general for many reasons. One reason is because it puts me in touch with that alive feeling I only recall experiencing as a child. To recreate that feeling I have chosen to pursue modeling. Another reason I enjoy modeling is because it also allows me to be expressive in a unique and creative way. Modeling also enjoyable in my opinion because it is like still-acting and I feel it helps strengthen my acting and vise verse. Modeling is a profession I enjoy and I think we all deserve to pursue, acquire and be successful in a career or field that we enjoy.

My favorite model of them all is Tyra Lynne Banks, known as Tyra. She is from Inglewood California and started modeling at age fifteen. Her pursuits remind me of some of the goals I plan to accomplish. I would like to act, publish a few books and do other things in entertainment outside of model. Tyra Banks is one of the few models that have successfully taken that step from modeling to film, television and beyond.

Her career in entertainment has been very diverse and she appeals to me more than most models for that reason. I also love her because she not only has taken her modeling craft to the ultimate level but through it she has inspired, taught, helped launch and promote aspiring models. I began respecting Tyra as a model more and more as time progressed and she unveiled to the world the extent of her beauty, creativity and talent. I realized in 2010, when she was ending her talk show to publish yet another book entitled Model Land, that she was the only model who I continued to actively follow from my childhood to present day.

Ms. Banks never got boring to me. As I watched her on her talk show and work with different models on America’s Next Top Model I was able to see the heart she really possessed and I realized how much I really liked and favored her as a model and talent. I don’t think I will ever be as great a model as she, but Ms. Banks has given me the hope that it’s possible for a woman of color to model and explore other facets of the entertainment industry. Through her work I have learned that black beauty is and can be appreciated in America and I now know that becoming more than a model is not a ridiculous dream for a woman of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment