Friday

The Saga of the Smarties

My 12 year old child recently shared with me something that children are doing in middle and junior high schools. She was trying to record such behavior as proof because it was hard for her to believe and with out the proof she felt like it would be unbelievable to adults. When she finally told me what some students in her school were doing; I couldn't believe it myself. I took the information seriously and the very next day I informed school officials. During that time I was informed that this was a problem last school term. I was shocked and wanted to share as much about this as I could to help build parental awareness that will hopefully extinguish this behavior.

The Alarming Behavior:

                                There are children in America attending junior high schools who are abusing the popular candy sweet tarts/smarties and not in the typical way you would expect for candy to be abused. Some preteens and tweens are taking these smarties/sweet tarts and crush them into a powdery substance. They then proceed to snort the sugary powder. Some children "smoke" the substance by inhaling and exhaling out the powder making it appear as tho they are smoking even though they are not lighting a fire. 


It's Just Candy:

                                Interestingly enough some adults feel like it's no big deal. Some people feel as though parents are over reacting and that they should be happy that it's just candy and not a paint thinner or some actually drug. People walking around fail to see that this behavior at such a young age sets the premise for drug abuse in relation to coke, paint sniffing and crushing aspirins or other prescription drugs for snorting. These people who feel like well it's just candy fail to see that its not just about the candy but the behavior.


There's Not Enough Awareness:

                                 As I began researching this activity of smoking and snorting the candy I found some news articles that date back to 2009 from sources like Fox News and  the Wall Street Journal. This phenomenon is nearing a decade of being a thing in Middle schools across America and there is not enough public awareness regarding the activity. Not only is this issue not getting the publicity needed but many people aren't aware of the medical side effects of such behavior.

The Medical Issues:

                                  I truly doubt if the children who are inhaling and snorting the candy are aware of the negative health effects. Not to mention that I don't believe that parents who brush the activity off know how deadly this activity can be. Inhaling or sniffing these candies can lead to a slew of medical issues such as respiratory problems, asthma, nose maggots and in some cases even death. In my opinion the nasal maggots or Myiasis of body cavities are by far the worse of these effects and can result in death if the parasites reach the brain.


I'm pretty certain noody wants maggots eating away their brain so I would suggest you inform all the little kids about these nose maggots. Then show them the nastiest videos to creep them out and I bet you they will not want to even EAT the candy.

Here's a video I shared with my preteens just to make sure they are too freaked out to want to be near the candy. I was kind of freaked out myself. Have a strong stomach before you CLICK HERE. The video shows the removal of such maggots from the nose.

If neglected they can spread to the brain.... The one is super creepy guys make your kid watch these videos and tell them this CAN happen if you continue with the snorting, inhaling the smarties.



No comments:

Post a Comment